A Few Tips on What You Need to Know to Watch the Parade
There is no better place to be on Thanksgiving Day then New York City to view the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Some people will be lucky enough to book a hotel room to sit inside of and watch the parade pass in comfort but other people will have to pick a spot alongside the road and watch the parade proceed the traditional way. Here are
a few tips on what to do to best view the parade.
Every year the Macy’s Day Parade kicks off at 77th Street. The parade will proceed south along Central Park. Once it reaches Columbus Circle it will follow the circle to Broadway and then continue south. The parade will pass Herald Square in front of Macy’s and end at 34th Street and 7th Avenue. The parade will begin promptly at 9am.
Follow these guidelines to try and get a front row view of the parade as it passes by.
1) Arrive early. Even though the parade starts at nine in the morning most people will arrive before 5am to begin their vigil at their chosen spot.
2) Dress warm. It can be bitterly cold in November in New York City. Bring blankets, gloves, hand warmers, and hats. Dress to shed clothes in case you warm up. Carry and umbrella with you in case it does rain. You also might want to pack a few cushions to sit on the concrete using.
3) It is very hard to view the parade with children but it can be done. If you do not arrive early enough to get a front row seat then you will have to let your children sit on your shoulders to view the parade. Its hard for parents to arrive so early to get a front row seat but it can be done. Send Dad down early and then you and the kids can join him later in the morning. Pick the spot a couple of days ahead of time so you will be able to locate Dad easily.
4) Please remember that you are in the big city so you must maintain a constant vigil on your children. Never let them out of your sight. Many parents utilize the children’s harness and leash during such hectic and crowded times so they have peace of mind and a little bit of control over their children.
5) If you do view the parade with your children then you might want to pick a spot by Tavern On The Green because there is a nice playground there. This way Dad can maintain the spot while the children play with mom before the parade starts. This helps entertain the little ones during the long wait.
6) I like the start of the parade route because you get to see the parade first and the parade participants are not tired yet so it makes for a better show. Also, the end of the parade route seems to be the most crowded and hectic so I avoid that section at all costs.
7) Remember that there are no public restrooms along the route so don’t drink a lot of liquid.
8) Do not bring folding chairs. These are strongly discouraged.
9) You can also book a tour that will allow you to watch the Macy’s Day Parade without worry plus they include a fantastic breakfast plus lodging. They offer several options that focus on the Macy’s Day Thanksgiving Parade. Here is a link to a wonderful tour outfit.
Here is the official website for the Macy’s Day Parade. There is a small map that gives you an idea of the route layout.